Chicken Tinola (Tinolang Manok)
Tinola is a Filipino dish with chicken pieces cooked in ginger-flavored broth. It also usually has chayote or green papaya and green leaves like chili leaves or malunggay (moringa).
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil
· 3 thumb ginger root – cut into strips
· 2 big cloves garlic – minced
· 1 medium onion – coarsely chopped
· 2 pounds chicken – cut into serving pieces
· 4-5 tablespoons fish sauce
· 6 cups water
· 2 stalks lemongrass – optional
· 1 chayote or green pap – cut into wedges
· 1 cup chili or malunggay leaves
1. In a pot over medium heat, saute ginger, garlic, and onion in oil until tender.
2. Add in the chicken pieces and fish sauce. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Juices and some fat will usually come out from the chicken.
3. Add water and lemongrass. Bring to boil. Once it starts to boil, lower heat and cover pot. Let it simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
4. Add the chayote or green papaya and let it cook for 5 minutes or until it becomes soft.
5. Add more fish sauce or salt if needed.
6. Lastly, mix in the chili or malunggay and simmer for another minute.
7. Transfer to bowls and serve while hot with rice.